Wednesday, August 09, 2006

learning should be fun

Carmen (see comments to New Toys) makes an interesting point. People (including teachers) often have preconceived ideas on where and when you can use elearning techniques. So....
Why not for rock climbing? or even canoeing? In a cave may be a bit hard but I haven't considered how I can do that - yet. (me in Deep Hole, Walli - June 2006)

but lets have fun, anyway!!

eLearning can be used anywhere, any time. As part of the LiFE learnscope project we are going to look at various things in various situations: for our web students, in horticulture/land management, in outdoor recreation (obvious by the pics and comments) and by librarians to improve the lot of their clients.

As part of this, I attended a LearnScope learning day last Thursday (3/8) to improve my personal learning space. This was lead by Sean FitzGerald . Well, thanks Sean. It was a good day - and apart being somewhere to play with technology, I actually achieved some customisation of this blog.
Then on Friday, the ICVET Powerhouse of learning and the showcase of Cool Tools for elearning. The last post was about the trials getting the videos to work - well at about midnight that night I got the images into MPEG4 format and on a DVD. Those that visited the stand on Friday got to see some movies... and to talk to me about just where and how "cool tools" can be used. How far (or maybe deep) can we go? ... the imagination is the limit.
As an aside - I showed the Cert 3 students some of the movies on Monday in class - certainly gee-ed them up for the afternoon session. The next step - Google video here we come (well - when I get time to try it out)

Tomorrow - Mt Wilson. Another group of students and a few more teachers who have become interested in using some technology in differnet ways.
The issues: the camera only lasts for 108 minutes fully charged and the notebook around 200 minutes.

No comments: