Thursday, August 03, 2006

New Toys

Over the past couple of weeks I have taken possesion of a few new toys as part of the TOL2 (TAFE OnLine 2) project. These have been HP Notebooks, some iPAC pda's and some MP3 players to be shared around with the project team.
For me - a notebook, pda and some times a couple of MP3 players. I will be using these in the field with the outdoor rec section at varying places in the field to determine how we can utilise the technoly to help the students.
Yesterday afternoon was spent at Mt York with the new Cert 3 as they had thier first go on the cliffs. I had the college's new Handycam. Some of the students wanted to be movie stars! Anyway, about 45minutes of footage later (about 1.75 Gb) I went home, thinking time to play with the movies. Didn't work - put the discs in the dvd player - but no luck. Nothing. File systems said no files! But I knew it had something.
So...as a matter of last resort...read the manual.

But I had the wrong manual. Had I lost it all?

Rolling on - found an online manual - It said I had to finalize the disks - so the images survived to be made on to a single DVD for showing at the ICVET Powerhouse of Learning on 4/8/2006 at ATP.
So - step one has been solved - I can get the images.


Picture shows Gil showing Laura how to tie a figure-of eight knot attachment to her harness in preparation for a climb.

Mt York. Certificate 3 Outdoor Rec. 2 Aug 2006.

Now to find out about manipulating/editing them to be small enough clips to ship up to something like Google-video or youTube.
The objective: short training clips of required skills for outdoor rec activities eg climbing, abseiling, canoeing.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Colin - looks great! I wouldn't normally associate rock-climbing with e-learning - just goes to show that technology can be used in wierd and wonderful ways! (And that it can be fun...)